Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Solvang"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||SCHONER|
|Overall length:||32.00 m|
|Length (hull):||25.00 m|
|Sail area:||340 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||6 Zyl. Leyland Diesel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 28 Aug 2009
- launched in Norway in 1930 and used as a cargo ship.
- restored as an English-style gaff schooner in 1984
- Breege on Rügen has been her registered port since 1991. In Breege she was located near a museum port to be built to demonstrate traditional sailing ships and to set up a navigation engineering consultancy.
- the ship visits the "Stralsund Sailing Week", the "Kieler Woche", a fishing festival in Greifswald, around Bornholm and Rostock since 1991.
- The central focus on board is work with young people and help for the weakest in society, trips are therefore organized for sick children, e.g. trips with asthmatic children in 1992 and 1993 and children from Tschernobyl in 1996.
- since 1996 she is based in the Greifswald museum port, repair of the hull and the deck in 1996, fitted with a new engine in 1997, rebuilding of the interior, owner and operator is the non-profit association SOLVANG e.V.
- name "Solvang" means meadow of the sun.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 170 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data