Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Nicolaas Mulerius"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KUTTER|
|Type of ship:||Klipper|
|Yard:||Van der Werff, Drachten, NL|
|Sail area:||223 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 11 Mar 2014
- built in 1906 as Frisian cargo ship for the owner Sake Hoogeveen at the shipyard Van der Werff in Drachten, NL.
- transport of agricultural products, sand, timber and turf.
- 1931 lengthening of the hull.
- 1937 after installation of an engine reduction of the rigging.
- taken over by the son Jelle Hoogeveen and his sister.
- used at the inland waters of Frisia, the big rivers in the IJsselmeer using the engine and sails.
- purchased by the architect Teun Koolhaas, rebuilding of the deckhouse and renewal of the rigging.
- 2002 purchased by the student organisation Groninger Zeilvereniging Mayday, short GSZ Mayday (about 200 members, biggest student sailing association in the North of The Netherlands, usually students from the Hanze Hogeschool of the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen), used for Sail Training.
- participation in the Klipperrace and Brandarisrace as well as sailing events for students.
- named to honour a professor for medicine and mathematics from Groningen Nicolaas Mulerius (1564-1630).