Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Poseidon"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||2-Mast Klipper|
|Yard:||Duyvendijk, Papendrecht, NL|
|Sail area:||440 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 11 Mar 2014
- built in 1903 at the shipyard Duyvendijk in Papendrecht, NL for Swets family; first name "Zuid-Holland".
- used as cargo ship under sails, transport of building materials for the embarkments of the Dutch province Zeeland, transport of stone and coal from Germany, transport of sugar.
- 1956 conversion to a motor ship, until 1997 usage as a freighter at the inland waters and big rivers.
- 1997 sold by Theo Swets to Frans and Frouke Fischer.
- restoration as sailing klipper and conversion to a passenger vessel, renamed the "Poseidon".
- frequent participation in sailing events for Dutch flat-bottom ships, i.e. in the Brandarisrace between Harlingen and Terschelling.