Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Babar"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Soir du 10 Mai, Tal Coat|
|Type of rigging:||KUTTER|
|Type of ship:||Côtre Langoustier|
|Yard:||Chantier du Guip, Ile aux Moines, FRA|
|Overall length:||14.50 m|
|Length (hull):||9.95 m|
|Sail area:||79 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 12 Feb 2012
- built 1980 by Chantier du Guip on the island Ile aux Moines, FRA using drawings by François Vivier and modelled after the crawfish fishing boats from the region (Côtre Langoustier); former name "Soir du 10 Mai" (evening of May 10, the boat was launched at this date in 1981), later "Tal Coat", before renamed the "Babar" in 1986 by the owner M. Schneider.
- owner since 1994 is the painter, ship lover and circumnavigator Pierre Raffin-Caboisse.
- 2000-2002 voyage on the traces of Le Toumelin (circumnavigation in 1949 on board of the "Kurun").
- mainly used for private purposes and daysailing trips with friends and sailing guests based in Croisic, FRA.
- collision with a freighter in July 2010 on her return from Panama to France about 250sm off the coast in the Atlantic, hull was heavyly damaged but above the water line, appeal for funds and collection of money by a circle of friends to support the repair which was finally performed at the shipyard where she was built.
Contact:Website (français, 04 Feb 2012):
Babar: côtre langoustier, a journal of events in the history of the boat and owners, some photos