Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Vestby"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Gaffelketsch|
|Yard:||Borhaug, Lista, NOR|
|Overall length:||33.00 m|
|Sail area:||300 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||6 Zyl. Modag|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 20 Sep 2009
- built 1920 by Borhaug in Lista, South Norway after the design by Colin Archer as cargo ship without engine.
- 1951 rebuilt and converted to a coaster, fitted with an hot-bulb engine, installation of a rudder house on the stern, removal of the rig; she transported building materials on the coast of Norway, e.g. between Stavanger and Haugesund.
- 1980 bought by the German H. Bieling in Kopervik, NOR; 1982 transferred to Germany with the intermediate station Hadsund, DK, where a new engine had to be installed.
- reconstruction of her former appearence since 1951, removal of the rudder house, rigged as a gaff ketch, exhaustive restoration and repair of the deck and hull.
- name "Vestby" means location in the West.