Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Wyvenhoe"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Registered port:||St Katherines Dock, London|
|Type of rigging:||BARGE|
|Type of ship:||Thames Sailing Barge|
|Yard:||Forrest & Sons Ltd, Wyvenhoe, Wyvenhoe, GBR|
|Overall length:||25.60 m|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 01 Mar 2008
- built 1898 by Forrest & Sons Limited of Wyvenhoe, England, GBR for a gentleman of Greenwich with the purpose of entering the barge match races.
- 1903 sold to the London & Rochester Trading Co., used as a commercial barge working the East Coast, Thames and Northern Europe.
- fitted with an engine in 1923, removal of her rigging, thereafter she worked as a motor barge until 1983.
- then sold and rerigged as a company yacht barge, operates on a charter basis.
- in the 1990s owned by the management training company Charisma Consultants of Peter Cariss and predominantly static, based in St. Katharines Dock, London; the business was acquired by new owners in late 2003.
- 2004 major refit to ensure that she attains the highest standards of seaworthiness.
- based at Maldon in Essex and berthed at Hythe Quay, sails frequently and participats again in the traditional barge matches that take place along the Essex, Suffolk and Kent coast each summer.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (English, 26 Jan 2008):
Thames Sailing Barge Wyvenhoe: website of the operator Trad Sail Charters with history of the ship and photos, sailing opportunities, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Historic Sail. Britain's Surviving Working Craft"
The History Press 2013 ISBN: 978-0-7524-8581-2
(in Association with National Historic Ships UK)
Page: 136, 138 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data