Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Edme"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Registered port:||St. Osyth|
|Type of rigging:||BARGE|
|Type of ship:||Thames Sailing Barge|
|Yard:||Canns, Harwich, GBR|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 01 Mar 2008
- built in 1898 by Canns of Harwich and named after the EDME Company (English Diast at ic Malt Extract), situated at Mistley Quay, Essex; owned by F.W. Horlock at Harwich, GB.
- removal of her rigging for use as a lighter by Brown & Co. in 1949.
- lengthy restoration at Maldon before being bought by the Harman-Harrison Consortium, and now the "Edme" consortium.
- rerigged as bowsprit barge in 1992, based at St. Osyth.
- available for day charters from Brightlingsea, England throughout the season.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Historic Sail. Britain's Surviving Working Craft"
The History Press 2013 ISBN: 978-0-7524-8581-2
(in Association with National Historic Ships UK)
Page: 92, 94 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data