Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Ardwina"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||BARGE|
|Type of ship:||Thames Sailing Barge|
|Yard:||Orvis & Fuller, Ipswich, GBR|
|Overall length:||26.15 m|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 01 Mar 2008
- built 1907/09 by Orvis & Fuller, Ipswich, England.
- owned by E. L. & W. Goldsmith, sold in 1938 to Metcalf Motor Coasters Limited.
- general trade on the East Coast and London, engaged in the stone trade from Portland to Greenwich until 1951.
- purchased by Daniels Bros. (Whitstable) Limited in 1951.
- converted to a barge yacht in 1959, houseboat at Chelsea in the 1970s, refitted in 1970.
- acquired by Ardwina Ltd. in 1985, since then she is based in St. Katherines Dock, London, available for seminars and meetings in London, river trips on the Thames, participates in Barge Match Races.
- refitted in 1989/90.
Contact:Website (English, 29 May 2021):
Ardwina: basic info about the ship at the business website of the owner
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Historic Sail. Britain's Surviving Working Craft"
The History Press 2013 ISBN: 978-0-7524-8581-2
(in Association with National Historic Ships UK)
Page: 73, 75 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data