Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Elida"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Fischkutter (Ketsch)|
|Yard:||Høllen Søngne, NOR|
|Overall length:||22.22 m|
|Sail area:||180 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||Kromhout Diesel 6TS117|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 27 Feb 2021
- built at the shipyard Høllen Søngne, NOR as fishing boat for the region Island, ice protected by a skin of cupper.
- later used a postal ship and transporting passengers in the Norwegian fjords.
- used as restaurant ship in Sweden.
- 1994 bought by Günter Saal from Germany as replacement for the missionary ship "Elida" (former crab cutter, Loa 12,8m), that was be used until 1993, 3-years reconditioning and rebuilding, renamed from "Maria II" to "Elida".
- since 1997 used by the association Missionskutter ELIDA e.V. along the German Baltic Sea coast at habour festivals providing a Christian program for missionary and non-profit charitable purposes.
- carrying the safety certificate for traditional sailing ships in Germany since 2007.
- in winter 2008 major renovation work on the lower hull, followed by extensive journeys in the North and Baltic Seas.
- 2009 continuation of the work on the hull, replacement of the main mast, sailing trips in the Baltic Sea.
- 2010 sailing trips in the Baltic Sea to Estonia.
- 2013 broken mast off Gedser, DK; repairs in spring 2014.
- 2015 trip along the German coast of the North Sea to Bremerhaven and Dagebüll.
- 2016 visit to the Baltic island of Bornholm.
- in 2019 major reconstructions of the interior and replacement of parts of the superstructure
- name "Elida" is according lore a nordic ship name meaning "precious light".
Contact:Website (deutsch, 11 Apr 2021):
Missionary cutter Elida: basics about the history and use, contact