Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Gladys"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||BARGE|
|Type of ship:||Spritsail Barge|
|Yard:||John & Herbert Cann, Bathside, Gashouse Creek, Harwich, GB|
|Overall length:||25.60 m|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 29 May 2007
- built 1901 by John and Herbert Cann, Bathside, Gashouse Creek, Harwich, on order of William Thomas Whitmore, Harwich and John Howard of Shoeburyness.
- sold in 1902 to John Lesley Whitemore, Colne, Lancashire, although John Howard remained the master.
- in August 1912 sold to Cranfield Brothers Ltd., with Charles Howard as the master.
- fitted with a diesel engine around 1950.
- in November 1972 sold to the grain importers Mardorf, Peach & Co Ltd, of Berkeley Square, London, who subsequently sold her in February 1999 to her to Allied Mills.
- designated Vessel in the National Historic Ships Register of Great Britain.