Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Mjølner"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KUTTER|
|Type of ship:||Motorjagt|
|Yard:||J. Ring Andersen Werft, Svendborg, DK|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 25 Sep 2005
- built 1922 at the rich in tradition shipyard J.Ring Andersen in Svendborg, DK, rigged as a jagd (cutter) and fitted with an engine.
- used as a packet boat in south Danish waters, before the bridges built between the islands and ferry services these boats did an importand contribution to the supply of the inhabitants, transported alive pigs to the slaughterhouse, coal, wood, bicycles, goods and passengers.
- 1922-29 two trips a week between Langeland and Svendborg skippered by Mikkelsen from Ristinge.
- 1939 sold to Fejø, cargo trips to Copenhagen.
- used as a stone fisher in the 1960s, sold then and used for leisure purposes.
- since 1990 owned by the Langeland Museums, prensent from private property, 7-year restoration, 2004 reconstruction of her original rigging, can be chartered today, runs on her old packet routes Rudkøbing-Strynø-Drejø-Ærøskøbing during the summer or is open for the public at the homeport Rudkøbing, DK.
- christened the "Mjølner", the hammer (tool) of the Thor, god of thunder of the vikings.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Mitteilungsblatt der Freunde des Gaffelriggs
Page: 6-13 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Pakete in Fahrt"