Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Ella"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||STAGSEGELSCHONER|
|Type of ship:||Klassische Yacht|
|Yard:||Miller & Sons, St. Monance, GB|
|Overall length:||23.80 m|
|Length (hull):||20.70 m|
|Sail area:||300 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||Mercedes OM 352|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 02 May 2021
- built 1935 at the Scottish shipyard Millers & Sons using drawings by Frederic Shepherd on order of W.R.S. Bond, Esquire, member of the Royal Thames Yacht Club, used as a private yacht.
- christened the "Ella" for the name of the wife of the first owner.
- participation in yacht regattas in the Solent, more than one circumnavigation of the world sailed by several owners in the time follows.
- 1947-1952 owned by Robert Dunlop sr., Clyde Cruising Club, renamed the "Veleda" (celtic druid).
- 1976 technical overhaul and renovation of the interior in the fore ship and pantry at the Isle of Wight.
- 1979 sold by the shipyard owner Miller in St. Monance, "Veleda" is registered under Bermudean flag and is cruising in the Carribbean.
- 1986 registered in Hamburg, GER and operated by a part owning company, used on worldwide voyages.
- 1995 minor overhaul on Malta, sailing trips in the Mediterranean.
- 1997/98 in Hamburg, in the strong winter she sunk twice at the quay.
- 2000 purchased by a owner group from Germany, begin of her restoring using historical plans, finished in July 2005.
- 2005 re-renamed the "Ella", registered in Bremerhaven, GER; usage as yacht on private journeys by the owners.