Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Spike Africa"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Registered port:||San Diego|
|Type of rigging:||SCHONER|
|Type of ship:||Gaffelschoner|
|Yard:||Bob Sloan, Newport Beach, California, USA|
|Overall length:||24.00 m|
|Length (hull):||18.90 m|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 26 Jul 2013
- built by Bob Sloan of Newport Beach, California in 1977.
- combines the functional elegance of the 19th century coastal schooners with unobtrusive touches of modern luxury.
- complete refit in 1998 through 2000.
- located in the San Diego Harbor, the "Spike Africa" served as the perfect choice for private charter, corporate and adventure voyages and is available for use in advertising, television and film projects.
- 2005 leased to the project Save Our Seas, which teachs kids about sailing and about the ocean environment.
- complete overhaul in 2009 to maintain the traditional character.
- association Schooners North operates her in the charter business out of San Juan Islands
- named for Spike Africa, a seaman renowned as a living legend of the sea, a man, who was renowned up and down the West Coast as President of the Pacific Ocean.