Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Provident"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Brixham Trawler, Gaffelketsch|
|Overall length:||28.00 m|
|Length (hull):||21.00 m|
|Sail area:||320 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 23 Feb 2014
- built as a ketch rigged fishing trawler in Brixham in 1924, she worked with the local fishing fleet until 1951, registered as "BM28".
- 1951 purchased by the Maritime Trust, operated by the Island Cruising Club of Salcombe.
- major refit between 1986-90.
- 1998 sold by the Maritime Trust to the Island Trust.
- joined the Trinity Sailing Foundation in 1999, together with "Golden Vanity" and "Leader" the ship offers sailtraining based from Brixham and cruises along the south coast of Devon and Cornwall, often participated the Cutty Sark Tall Ships Races.
- 2013 replacement of the deck and repairs at the keel, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund and a number of other organisations including National Historic Ships UK, The Charles Hayward Foundation and The Whirlwind Charitable Trust as well as individual donors and supporters.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 122 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
"Historic Sail. Britain's Surviving Working Craft"
The History Press 2013 ISBN: 978-0-7524-8581-2
(in Association with National Historic Ships UK)
Page: 20, 22 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data