Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Westvind af Göteborg"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Westvind af Göteborg|
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Gaffelketsch|
|Yard:||Kungsviken, Orust, SWE|
|Sail area:||120 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||Volvo Penta MD 100|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 28 Nov 2001
- built with a yacht design at Kungsviken on the island Orust in 1913, delivered in 1914, first owner was the fishing team Vestvind from Kalvsund in Göteborg, SWE, skipper was Natanael Nilsson (later Ludvigsson), named the "Vestvind", fitted with an 20 hp engine she was registered under the number GG 548 and used for fishing until 1926.
- 1926 renamed the "Vera", homeported in Ramholmen on the island of Skaftö, used for cargo shipping.
- sold to Grundsund and got the new registration number LL 201 during the war in 1942-43.
- after the war converted into a tank boat with oil tanks below deck and gas tanks on deck, owned by different companies and used for oil and gas transports along the Swedish west coast until 1968.
- 1973-76 owned by Kenneth Svard who intended to restore for for traveling in the Mediterranean, these plans fail, she remained in Göteborg, but got a new deck in this time.
- 1976-78 owned by Gorel Hagg.
- 1978 bought by Morgan and Christina Ohlqvist, several rebuildings to convert "Vera" from a fishing boat to a leisure boat for the family, lowering of the front deck, change of the shape of the deck line, raising the deck over the saloon, replacement of many of the planks.
- bought by Gert Uthberg and Bjorn Jarde in 1986, start of a restoration to classify here for ocean traffic, renewal of planking, ribs, deck, interior, gunwale, sternpost and rudder at the Kurt Sorensens Skibs- og Badebyggeri in Ålbæck, Denmark, rigged as a ketch.
- 1988 replacement of the engine, fitted with a Volvo Penta MD100, new water tanks and septic tanks in stainless steel.
- renamed the "Westvind af Göteborg", her original name "Vestvind" was already used by other ships.
- sailed first after her reconstruction in 1991, finnish of the interior fitting and reconstruction in 1994, classified for coastal traffic in 1994.
- sold 2002 to Thomas Gunnarsson, some maintenance work was necessary.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (på svenska, 21 May 2005):
Westvind af Göteborg: her history, interior, technical specification, sailing photos, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Kulturarv under Segel, Levande segelfartygstradition i Sverige"
Sveriges Segelfartygsförening 2007 ISBN: 91-973000-6-3
Page: 244 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact