Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Iona"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Haikutter (Gaffelketsch)|
|Overall length:||18.00 m|
|Sail area:||150 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 28 Aug 2001
- built of oak in Esbjerg, Denmark, in 1924 for fishing in the North Sea, until 1980 owned by the Jorgensen family under the name "Ingrid".
- sold to a student group, rebuilt for use as leisure boat, transferred to the Mediterranean, used under name "Jo" until 1990, return to Denmark.
- new owner Nick Murray, Karlshamn, SWE; registered in Matvik, SWE.
- since 1991 she has been totally renovated inside and has new masts, rigging and sails, converted to sail with people on daytrips and longer.
- sailed the Baltic Sea, often along the Swedish shore, participated sailing festivals and regattas for traditionally rigged ships.
- sold in 2008 to W. Heuser, registered in Greifswald, GER.
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 111 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data