Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Xylonite"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||BARGE|
|Type of ship:||Thames Bowsprit Barge|
|Yard:||F.W. Horlock, Mistley Building Company, GB|
|Length (hull):||26.20 m|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||5 Zyl. Gardner|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 10 Feb 2012
- built by the Mistley Building Company in 1926 as 3rd of 7 barges, used by the Horlocks, a well known barge firm in North Essex, one of the last barges built without an auxiliary engine, traded with grain and malt under sail until 1958.
- 1958 sold to The Greenhithe Lighterage Company Ltd., removal of her rigging, building of a wheel house aft, used as a motor barge.
- 1977 bought by private owners Tim and Brigid Eliff, re-rigged and fitted out as a charter barge.
- 1984 bought by the Cirdan Sailing Trust, complete rebuild, in service for their youth work since 1985.
- sailed the English East coast in protected waters.
- 2007 sold to Rebecca Polden and Alan Wilkes to be used as a liveaboard / private barge, she was based in Maldon.
- in July 2011 sold to photographer Tim Kent, moved to Harwich, used for charter and match races of Thames sailing barges.
Contact:Website (English, 07 Jan 2001):
The sailing barge Xylonite at the website "Thames Sailing Barges"
Website (English, 10 Feb 2012):
Xylonite: charter information, photo gallery, specification, history, shop, news, links, contact
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 153 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact