Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Duet"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||YAWL|
|Type of ship:||Edwardian Classic Yacht, Gaffelyawl|
|Yard:||White's Yard, River Itchen, Southampton, GB|
|Overall length:||19.20 m|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 28 Jan 2001
- example of a gaff rigged yawl retaining all the features of an Edwardian classic yacht
- designed by Linton Hope, built at White's Yard on the river Itchen, launched as "Gaviota" in 1912
- bought by the famous explorer Mr. Augustine Courlauld in the early 1930s, renamed to "Duet"
- during modifications in the 1960s the deckhouse was removed
- 1960 the son Mr. Christopher Ellis founded the Ocean Yacht Club, used by the club in an adventure sail training role for young people until 1994, participation in Cutty Sark Tall Ships Races
- bought by the Cirdan Sailing Trust, who maintain her and use her in their work with groups of disadvantaged youth, fitted with a new deckhouse
- sails the English east coast in well protected waters
Contact:Website (English, 07 Feb 2010):
The Cirdan Sailing Trust: website of the operator with photos, data and history of their ships, contact address, info about the trusts and booking info
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 62 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact