Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Stahlratte"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||SCHONER|
|Type of ship:||Logger|
|Yard:||Capelle aan den Ijssel, NL|
|Overall length:||38.50 m|
|Sail area:||380 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 28 Jan 2001
- built in Rotterdam/NL as a sailing freighter in 1903, sailed the European coast of the North, later she was fitted with an engine
- removal of her rigging in the 1950s, exchange of the steam engine by a diesel engine, used in the fishery along the Norwegian coast under the name "MS Sildaskjer"
- 1983 decommissioned, given to the association "Verein zur Förderung der Segelschiffahrt e.V.", renamed to "Stahlratte", she was re-rigged and converted to an adventure ship sailing for recreation of her owners and guests until 1987
- 1987-1995 sailing with guests in the Canaries, Mediterranean and Caribbean
- 1995 return to Bremen/GER and start of a 2-years rebuilding and refitting of the vessel, after that she was used by Greenpeace
- in spring 2001 additional rebuilding, it is planned for 2001/02 to sail the the Canaries and Caribbean and a circumnavigation of the globe 2003-2006 under the slogan "100 years Stahlratte"
Contact:Website (deutsch/English/español, 01 Jan 2001):
Segellogger Stahlratte: technical specification, drawings and photos, contact address, activities
Website (deutsch/English/español, 21 Apr 2007):
Stahlratte: pictures and news from the circimnavigation