Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Franzius"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Registered port:||Bremen, Vegesack|
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Weserkahn|
|Yard:||Bremer Bootsbau Vegesack, Bremen, GER|
|Overall length:||29.00 m|
|Length (hull):||22.60 m|
|Sail area:||273 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 22 Jan 2011
- she is a so-called "Weserkahn", ships of that kind were used to transport the trading goods from bigger ships along the Weser, ships were simple transport gliders with little draught.
- there is no original ship kept, therefore the building of a replica started at the shipyard Bremer Bootsbau Vegesack Werft in 1999, finished in 2000.
- the ship is used after a traditional but also up-to-date concept: she connects the ports on the lower Weser, is used for social events, exhibitions and day trips.
- operated by the BBV Sailing Schiffsbüro, which was founded in the beginning of 1999 and as branch office of the Bremer Bootsbau Vegesack GmbH they operate the ships built at this shipyard in the context of education of longtime unemployed with focus on youth and education voyages.
- 2007 the BBV Sailing stops operating the ship.
- 2008 foundation of the Bremer Weserkahn "Franzius" e.V., who operates and maintains the ship now.
- named for the civil engineer Ludwig Franzius (1832-1903) from Bremen, GER, who was engaged between 1875-1903 for the preservation of the navigability of the lower stretches of the river Weser.
Contact:Website (deutsch, 22 Jan 2011):
Bremer Weserkahn Franzius: website of the operator with information about the ship, technical data, many photos, contact address, sailing schedules, information about the operator itself
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 82 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data