Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Pirola"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||De drie Gebroeders, Irmgard|
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||Heringslogger|
|Overall length:||25.60 m|
|Length (hull):||18.60 m|
|Sail area:||204 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||6 Zyl. Hentschel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 04 Apr 2021
- her exact building year and shipyard where built is not proved, certainly used as a freighter in coastal waters in the beginning of the 20th century.
- 1947 converted to a fishing cutter with an auxiliary engine by the brother de Vries, under the name "De drie Gebroeders" she was used for fishery up to 1969.
- sold to Germany and renamed the "Irmgard".
- sold to Borkum, new name was "Pirola", fitted with a new engine.
- 1974 change of her homeport to Hörnum/Sylt, used as fishing-boat and to catch shrimps, sometime she was a working-boat for different works
- svereal changes of the owner lead to bad maintenance and condition of the ship.
- 1983 purchased by new owners and generally restored until 1990, prototype of the restoration is the appearance of a logger from 1947.
- 1999 used by Greenpeace at the ship wreck of the "Pallas".
- 2001 expedition to the Arctic to Greenland with divers from Greenpeace.
- 2011 voyage from Flensburg to the North of Iceland.
- 2013 yoyage to Scotland, crossing of the Caledonian Channel to the Inner Hebrides.
- for sale since 2020.