Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Jonas von Friedrichstadt"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Jonas von Friedrichstadt|
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Type of ship:||See-Ewer|
|Yard:||Van Diepen, Waterhuizen, NL|
|Overall length:||31.00 m|
|Length (hull):||23.00 m|
|Sail area:||300 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
|Engine:||Mercedes OM 355|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 13 Jul 2000
- built in the Frisian Waterhuizen by the brothers van Diepen on order of the German Bruhns in 1911, her first name was "Walter" after the son of the owner.
- she carried all kinds of goods for the inhabitants of the coast and islands.
- 1922-23 fitted with an engine.
- in WW II reduction of the rigg and removal of the sideboards, operated under engine power between Hamburg and Denmark through the North-Baltic Sea-Channel.
- after 1945 operated by Walter Bruhns until his accident, sold to Neufeld, GER then, damaged and sunk caused by a collision in Hamburg, salvaged and repaired.
- 1962 lengthened and changes of the back deck.
- in the beginning of the 1970s sold to Northern Frisian, owner Boy Petersen, Pellworm, GER; installation of a new engine, renamed the "Anja 1".
- 1981 sold and registerred in Nordstrand, GER.
- 1982 sold to the engineer and professor Schulz, List on Sylt, GER; used as platform for a wind wheel.
- 1985-87 moored in Husum, GER; for sale.
- 1987 sold to the scrapper John von Eitzen, because of a damage of the engine she couldn't be transferred to be scrapped.
- purchased by the Bildungswerk Nordseewatten e.V., restoration to her original state before WW II including re-rigging the ship in private work, renamed the "Jonas" after the son of the owner.
- 1997 new owner Stefan Schremmer.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch, 30 Sep 2002):
Jonas' homepage: about the ship, a photo, voyages on board and contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Segler in der Zeitenwende"
Chronik der Seefahrt, Verlag Egon Heinemann, Norderstedt 1977 ISBN: 3-87321-946-8
(Biografie der kleinen stählernen Frachtsegelschiffe (1880 - Gegenwart))
Source with picture Source with technical data