Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Marie Galante"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Elsfleth, Wilhelm Schiermann, Örnen, Edka, Winston, Metric, Spica|
|Type of rigging:||SCHONER|
|Type of ship:||Logger|
|Yard:||C. Lühring, Brake/Hammelwarden, GER|
|Overall length:||38.00 m|
|Length (hull):||27.00 m|
|Sail area:||480 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 01 Oct 1998
- built 1907 or 1915 at shipyard C. Lühring, Brake/Hammelwarden, GER as fishing logger. first name was according to the homeport "Elsfleth", used for 11 years in the trawling fishery under sails.
- 1926 installation of the first engine (75 hp).
- 1931-39 used as logger of the Bremen-Vegesacker Fischerei Gesellschaft.
- 1939 sold to Stettin to Capt. Heinrich Sandkamp, converted to a freighter, fitted with a new stronger engine (120 hp), renamed the "Wilhelm Schiermann".
- 1945 the owners escaped from Stettin to Uetersen, GER.
- registered in Uetersen until 1951.
- 1951 change of the owner and registration as "Ömen" ("Örmen"?) in Skärhamm, SWE for shipowner G.E. Olssen.
- 1958-62 registration for shipowning company of Thorvald Olofson from Skärhamm, motor vessel with auxiliary sails.
- 1962 new owner from Denmark, renamed the "Edca" ("Edka"?), registered in Svendborg and later in Odense for C.P. Hendriksen from Skarupøre, DK.
- 1971 registered in Vejle, DK for J. Pedersen, renamed the "Winston".
- 1974 registered in Hov, DK for Eigil Christensen, renamed the "Metric".
- 1978 registered in Stege, DK for H.J.H. Hansen, renamed the "Spica".
- 1979 purchased by the Dutchman Kees Rol from Enkhuizen, converted to a sailing ship for the charter business, mainly by active work of the owner until 1982, change of the ship engine, renamed the "Marie Galante".
- today registered as a Dutch sailing boat for passengers during weekly and day trips, very suitable for sailing with children or young people, in winter time offers accomodation for stationary charters, since 1982 mainly charter trips in the Baltic Sea starting from Kiel, GER; visits big sailing events in the Baltic.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (nederlands, 08 Jan 2007):
Marie Galante: website of the ship with basic information and contact
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 134 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data