Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Vänervik"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||3-MAST-SCHONER|
|Yard:||Sjötorps Varv, Lake Vänern, SWE|
|Overall length:||38.00 m|
|Length (hull):||26.52 m|
|Sail area:||390 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 16 Feb 2014
- built in 1943 at the Sjötorp's shipyard for the Swedish Helge Källsson (later shipping company Erik Thun Rederi), given name was "Lidan".
- motor vessel with auxiliary rig dimensioned exactly to manage to get through the locks of Göta Channel, carried goods.
- change of owner led to change of the name to "Vänervik".
- 1973 another change of the owner and renamed to "Lidan".
- exhibition ship since 1978 when she sailed along the Swedish coast with the latest kitchen fixtures aboard.
- 1983 sold and converted to a ship for entertainment.
- 1987 purchased by the local authorities of Stenungsund.
- foundation of the "Seglarföreningen Skutan" in 1988 with the aim to rebuild the ship to a modern sail training vessel, new name became "T/S Havden", first sailing camp started in summer 1990.
- participation in sailing events and regattas, i.e. successful at the Nordisk Seglads race in 1994 and 1995, some changes of the hull made her even faster.
- winter 1996-97 repair of the stern and planking.
- participation in the second leg of the Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race 1997 from Stavanger to Göteborg, where she was the leading ship.
- sailed along the Swedish coast for sail training reason with a crew of all ages during 1998, winner of the Nordisk Seglads race.
- after economical problems of the operator sold to Swedish owner from Göteborg in 2007, renamed the "Vänervik" again.
Contact:Website (på svenska, 22 Jan 2011):
Vänervik: some photos and contact
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 82 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 103 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Kulturarv under Segel, Levande segelfartygstradition i Sverige"
Sveriges Segelfartygsförening 2007 ISBN: 91-973000-6-3
Page: 126 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact