Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Betty CK145"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Betty of Colchester|
|Type of rigging:||KUTTER|
|Type of ship:||Essex Oyster Smack,|
|Yard:||Aldous, Brightlingsea/Essex, GBR|
|Length (hull):||10.61 m|
|Sail area:||92 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 27 Jan 2007
- built 1906 at the shipyard of Robert Aldous in Brightlingsea/Essex, Southeast England; first owner became Mr. French, Mercea, GBR; catching of oysters and cargo vessel until 1965 in Eastern-English waters, registered in Colchester, GBR, registered number CK145.
- until the early 1960s used for fishing moules for Roy Leslie, Southend, used without mast and sails with an engine, later left in the mud of the Barling Creek.
- 1965 bought by a new owner Ray Riley from Wivenhoe, GBR, who restored the ship and converted her step by step from a sailing vessel to a ship for entertainment.
- 1979 sold to Hamburg-Finkenwerder on the river Elbe/Germany, additional restorational work and rebuilding of the indoor equipment, owners were Dr. Jürgen Zippel, Dr. Gerhardt Wulf, Peter Cordes, Joachim Kähne, sailed voyages in the Baltic Sea.
- 1982 installation of the new engine (Volvo), renewal of part of the hull, electrics at the Behrens shipyard in Hamburg-Finkenwerder, GER; 1989 comple restore of the stern; 1992 new deck planks and deck frames, new sails, 1999 new planks and rigging.
- 2002 sold to Jan Holthusen and overhauled in Brightlingsea, England.
- 2003 general overhaul of the engine in Holland and new topmast.
- 2004 damaged after grounding in the mouth of the river Canche, FRA, after repair in Tholen on Zeeland, NL return to Hamburg over the channels and rivers.
Contact:Website (deutsch/English, 08 Feb 2006):
Essex-Oyster-Smack Betty CK145: website with detailed history, many photos, specification of the ship, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Delius Klasing Verlag ISSN: 0936-7624
Page: 118 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Betty of Colchester"
"Die schönsten Traditionssegler in Deutschland"
Verlag Rolf Kelling-Eischeid, Kiel 1987 ISBN: 3-924381-12-7
Page: 31 Source with picture Source with history
(kurzer beschreibender Text)
Mitteilungsblatt der Freunde des Gaffelriggs
Page: 24-27 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact