Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Nellie & Leslie BN27"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Name:||Nellie & Leslie BN27|
|Type of rigging:||KUTTER|
|Type of ship:||Wash-Smack, Krabbenkutter|
|Yard:||Ben Worfolk, Norfolk, UK|
|Overall length:||23.00 m|
|Length (hull):||16.19 m|
|Sail area:||151 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||Mercedes Diesel 4 Zyl|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 30 Dec 1999
- former fishing cutter made of oak and used for fishing crabs and shell-fish in nets in the Wash, a bay 200 km North-East from London, built at the Worfolk shipyard in King's Lynn/England
- name "Nellie & Leslie" after the daughters of the first owner
- a very fast ship, won several fishingboat races at the English East coast
- 1914 - 1934 registered in King's Lynn with nummer LN 9
- damage in 1934, scuttled caused by an collision, after that salvaged and repaired
- sold to new owners from Boston/Lincolnshire, registered as BN 27 now, use again as fishing boat, step by step modernized, remove of the rigg
- 1978 sold and transmitted to Denmark, laid up in Århus because of the missing licence for fishing
- 1981 purchased by German owners, who restored the ship, transmission to Bremerhaven in 1982, support by the organization "Verein Schiffergilde"
- completely restoration in extensive selfmade work until 1988
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Axel Strothmann, Florian Müller, Alexander Nürnber
Band 3 Holzschiffbau, Verlag Rolf Kelling-Eischeid, Kiel 1989 ISBN: 3-924381-22-4
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
(Buch über die Rekonstruktion des Schiffs)
Delius Klasing Verlag ISSN: 0936-7624
Page: 150 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Wash-Smack "Nellie & Leslie""