Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Fryderyk Chopin"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||BRIGG|
|Yard:||Dora Shipyard, Gdynia, Poland|
|Overall length:||55.50 m|
|Sail area:||1200 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 07 Jan 2011
- built at the Dora shipyard in Gdynia in 1989-1992, she was put into service in March 1992.
- designed by Zygmunt Choren (designer of the sailing ships of the "Mir" class, rigging of the "Alexander v. Humboldt", "Pogoria" etc.).
- this vessel combines the best qualities of a square-rigged sailing boat with those of a racing yacht.
- very successful in regattas, such as the 1992 Grand Columbus regatta and the Cadiz-Canary Island-Puerto Rico regatta.
- joined often the parade of sail at the Hanse Sail in Rostock, participated the Sail Bremerhaven 1995 and 2000, and the Kiel regatta.
- built and used (1992-96) for the International Class Afloat Foundation, that gives young people the possebility of sailing experience and adventure at sea.
- change of the owner in 1996, she became property of the 'Kredyt Bank' S.A., Poland.
- last change of the owner in December 2000, she belongs to European School of Law and Administration in Warsaw, Poland now.
- spends summer season in European waters, winter in the Caribbean.
- crosses the Atlantic with Class Afloat, 16 years old kids with teachers giving lectures on high school curriculum each spring and fall.
- 2010 promotion tour for the Polish culture and 200. anniversary of Fryderyk Chopin calling many ports in Europe.
- in October 2010 dismasted in a gale south west of the Isles of Scilly, no injuries reported, towed to Falmouth, it was said that very hard weather conditions and high waves" had caused the ship's problems.
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (po polsky, 12 Sep 2007):
Fryderyk Chopin: website of the ship with many photos, information, technical specification and sailing plans, contact address
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ollivier Puget, Jean-Noël Darde
"Partir sur les Grand Voiliers - Le guide pour embarquer"
Guides Balland 2000 ISBN: 2-7158-1277-9
Page: 84 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 263 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Windjammer der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1999 ISBN: 3-89225-396-X
(franz. Originalausgabe: "Les Plus Beaux Voiliers Du Monde", 1997)
Page: 87 Source with picture Source with history
"Unter Segeln, die grossen Windjammer auf den Weltmeeren"
Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 1994 ISBN: 3-7822-0605-3
(ital. Originalausgabe: "La nave a vela")
Page: 109 Source with picture
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 71 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 77 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 293 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 87 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
American Sail Training Association (ASTA)
"Sail Tall Ships! A Directory of Sail Training and Adventure at Sea"
2007 ISBN: 978-0-9799878-0-9
Page: 156 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact