Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Statsraad Lehmkuhl"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Ex-names:||Westwärts, Großherzog Friedrich August|
|Type of rigging:||BARK|
|Yard:||J.C. Tecklenborg, Bremerhaven/Geestemünde|
|Overall length:||98.00 m|
|Length (hull):||87.50 m|
|Sail area:||2200 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Stahl / Steel|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 24 Mar 2001
- built for the German association "Deutscher Schulschiff-Verein" in 1914 (chistened the "Grossherzog Friedrich August")
- the ship was given to England after the war in June 1920 and sold to Norway in 1923, new name became "Statsraad Lehmkuhl"
- used as depot and houseboat during the German occupation of Norway, name was "Westwärts"
- rebuilt in the postwar period with the help from a foundation, who operated her until 1966, purchased by the shipowner Hilmar Reksten from bergen, who ran her as a philanthropic gesture until 1972
- laid up between 1972 and 1978 because of economical reasons
- since 1986 the foundation "Seilskipet Statsraad Lehmkuhl" is owner and operator of the ship
- the junior staff of Norway's merchant navy is now trained on board, her crew offers interesting programmes to sailing enthusiasts
- participated in Sail Bremerhaven 1995 and Hanse Sail Rostock 1998 as well as the 2nd Hiorten Karlskrona-Rostock race in 1998 and Sail Bremerhaven 2000
Last tracked position of the ship:
Map provided by FleetMon.com
Contact:Website (deutsch, 23 Mar 2021):
feldfilm business as unusual: the feldfilm agency has made a documentary film about aboard the ship in 1998, on this website you will find some technical and histocical description of the ship and you can buy the film.
Website (norsk/English, 10 Jan 2000):
Statsraad Lehmkuhl: the owners, her history, sailing program, booking info, news, gallery and the friendship association
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 1997 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(9. aktualisierte Auflage)
Page: 257 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Windjammer der Welt"
Edition Maritim 1999 ISBN: 3-89225-396-X
(franz. Originalausgabe: "Les Plus Beaux Voiliers Du Monde", 1997)
Page: 167 Source with picture Source with history
"Unter Segeln, die grossen Windjammer auf den Weltmeeren"
Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbH 1994 ISBN: 3-7822-0605-3
(ital. Originalausgabe: "La nave a vela")
Page: 175 Source with picture
"Sail to Adventure"
ISBN: 0 948337 05 2
Page: 142 Source with picture Source with history Quelle with contact
American Sail Training Association (ASTA)
"Sail Tall Ships! A Directory of Sail Training and Adventure at Sea"
2000 ISBN: 0-9636483-5-7
Page: 239 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Tall Ships - the Fleet of the 21th Century"
Tide-Mark Press, East Hartford 2000 ISBN: 1-55949-551-0
Page: 162 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
Ollivier Puget, Jean-Noël Darde
"Partir sur les Grand Voiliers - Le guide pour embarquer"
Guides Balland 2000 ISBN: 2-7158-1277-9
Page: 162 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Die letzten grossen Segelschiffe"
Delius Klasing Verlag 2002 ISBN: 3-7688-0483-6
(10. aktualisierte und erweiterte Auflage)
Page: 287 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 176 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data