Ship profile for the sailing ship: "August Ipsen"
Photos of the sailing ship:
Please click into a photo to see it in higher resolution.
Videos with the sailing ship:
Switch to full screen mode using the video control panel.
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||KETSCH|
|Yard:||Dawartz Werft, Tönning, GER|
|Overall length:||16.00 m|
|Length (hull):||12.00 m|
|Sail area:||120 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 02 Jan 2022
- built 1937 at the Dawartz shipyard in Tönning, GER as a shrimp cutter, used in the fishery under the name "Nordfriesland" HUS 14.
- used as an outpost boat in the English Channel during WWII, returned to Germany in 1941.
- use in the fishery until the late 1960s.
- 1973 takeover by an owner from Hamburg, GER and overhaul until 1975, renamed "August Ipsen" after the harbor master of Nordstrand, GER.
- acquired at the end of the 1980s by a new owner from Cologne, GER; plans for trips to the Mediterranean failed, laid in a branch of the river Elbe near Wischhafen, GER.
- 1990 new owner from Berlin, GER and relocation to Stralsund, GER; 1990/91 renovated at the Dinse shipyard in Stralsund, new machine (Yanmar, 135 HP), later further work on the interior of the ship at the Jarling shipyard in Freest, GER.
- 1997-98 relocation to Rostock, GER; owner/operator was the association "Grüne Liga" e.V. Rostock, conversions in the interior for use by groups, day trips and multi-day trips for youth groups and school classes.
- sold to two Rostock companies and use for sailing trips from Rostock until 2010.
- acquired by new owners in 2010 and relocated to Stralsund, GER; overhaul of the hull in Barth, GER; then moved back to Rostock and was up for sale in 2011.
- 2011 purchased by F.P. Schumacher and relocation to Lubmin, GER; overhaul of the hull and rigging and new interior work in Freest, GER; private use.
Contact:Website (deutsch, 02 Jan 2022):
August Ipsen: information about the ships with many photos, contact
Literature for further reading:
We recommend the following references for your further research of the ship. The references marked with have been included in the generation of the ship profile on this page.
Ein interaktives Informationssystem auf CD-ROM 1998
(2. überarbeitete Auflage)
Source with picture Source with technical data Quelle with contact
"Hanse Sail Rostock - Wo man sich begegnet"
Hanse Sail Verein Rostock e.V. 2005
Page: 44 Source with picture Source with history Source with technical data