Ship profile for the sailing ship: "Loyal"
Technical data of the sailing ship:
|Type of rigging:||GALEASSE|
|Yard:||Knut Johannessen Nes, Hardanger, NOR|
|Overall length:||37.70 m|
|Length (hull):||24.85 m|
|Sail area:||617 m2|
|Ship's hull:||Holz / Wood|
|Engine:||Kromhout 12 tv 128|
Portrait of the sailing ship:
Last update: 28 Aug 2001
- built in Hardanger, Norway, in 1877 by Knut Johannessen Nes, as a fishing boat and trader, homeported in Haugesund.
- fished for herring in the Baltic Sea and North Sea but over the years also sailed the Mediterranean, the Black Sea and the Atlantic for fishing or trading.
- 1887-90 she mostly traveled to Europeam ports, like Stockholm, Karlskrona, Hamburg, Larocke, Lisbon, Boness, Nykøping, Rotterdam, Copenhagen, Bilbao, Falmouth, Newport and several ports in the Mediterranean, also she made some trips to Lofoten.
- 1908-23 home port was Kristiansund, during this period the ship traveled to Lofoten/Finnmark at least once a year, these trips usually started after Christmas and lasted until May or June.
- fitted with the first engine in 1932.
- 1976 bought by John Hausberg, he and his son Audun Hausberg spent many years restoring her to sail, today she is as good as new, just as she was more than 120 years ago, but with all modern conveniences and safety equippments.
- used to keep our old seafaring skills alive, also for sail training
- participated the Cutty Sark Tallships Race 2001
Contact:Website (norsk, 19 Nov 2005):
Loyal: many photos, history and info about her restoring, technical data, sailing programme and contact address